Monday, January 26, 2009

The 98 - 2 Rule: Practice the Skills You Use 98% of the Time and Do Not Worry About the Rest

The email from the prior post got me thinking about the 98-2 Rule, which I just invented.

The 98-2 Rule: Practice the Skills You Use 98% of the Time and Do Not Worry About the Rest.

Seems obvious, but I can tell you this rule is infrequently followed. Take basketball as an example.

I have seen so many little kids practicing basketball by throwing up three pointers. You might say, actually that is what they do 98% of the time in games.

Perhaps the 98-2 Rule needs amending to read "... Practice the Skills You SHOULD Use 98% ...".

What kids should be practicing is dribbling a basketball. Once they are on the path to effectively learning to dribble, they can add passing and catching to their practice schedule.

Only after these skills, should they add shooting to their practice routine, and that should be from short, short range.

I played basketball for thirty years. Every day I picked up a basketball, the first thing I practiced was dribbling. Volleyball the same thing. Every time I picked up a volleyball for thirty years, the first thing I practiced was passing. Tennis, hitting the ball against a wall. Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals. The 98-2 Rule.

Dancing is like any other activity. Practice keeping time with the music, balance, posture, basic footwork, walking, left and right turns, communication. You cannot get good enough at these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment